Sunday, October 03, 2010

Sulyap

Saturday a month ago was another boring afternoon for me having been hospitalized (for pneumonia) for 8 days and told to rest at home for another 7 days. My wife has a plan for this particular day for which I have no previous  knowledge. We drove our youngest son to his soccer practice game early morning only to come back at 11 am to get him and his older brother to have lunch somewhere in San Pablo City.

So we leisurely drove to SPC (from Los Banos) and as we approached Brgy Del Remedio - the last barrio before the city proper, I asked my navigator - my wife, were here but where exactly is Sulyap. Out came her cellphone, dialled Sulyap's number and asked for directions. So I heard it is after the railroad track, first corner turn right, then straight to a large half-opened iron gate.

Memories came back, because I knew the place, it was once a small college - if I am not mistaken it was called "Southern Luzon Colleges" or SLC back in the seventies. Later it was closed and became Cocoland Hotel. So this is Sulyap.

When we entered the half-opened steel gates we were greeted on the left by an old 1800's Bahay na bato, restored to its old grandeur and beautifully rearranged to accomodate chairs and tables. We climbed a steep stairways to the second floor and we sat on an recreated antique table and chairs. We asked the waiter for any suggestions and we ordered pako salad, fish and chips, kulaong na talong, kalderetang hipon and fried bangus belly. The food was very good, specially the pako salad - the dressing which is basic vinaigrette with the right combination of sourness and sweetness that tingles your tastebuds. At first my two boys were reluctant to taste it but when they did, they almost dwvoured the whole bowl! Here are some pictures we took at Sulyap, we plan to return sometime this October!














No comments: